The truth is that most home improvements don’t increase the
value of your house as much as they cost. If you are getting ready to move
and want to make home improvements that actually increase the value of your
Here are some recommendations:
1. Clean / de-clutter - 973% Average Return on Investment: Remove
clutter by storing items in basement, attic or friend’s home. Rent
a storage space or sell excess items, if needed. Keep every room very clean
during open homes. Do pre-open house cleanliness inspections.
2. Lighten and brighten - 865% Average Return on Investment: Replace
any burnt-out bulbs and use higher wattage bulbs, if possible. Have defective
electrical components repaired or replaced. Make sure skylights are clear
and keep drapes open during the day.
3. Yard - 426% Average Return on Investment: Store away personal
effects from front yard. Hire gardener or landscaper to trim back the overgrowth
and maintain yard. Make sure that your lawn has a healthy green appearance.
4. Plumbing and electrical - 260% Average Return on Investment:
Consider repairing or replacing any defective plumbing or electrical items
in your home. Make sure you have the right person for the job by getting
5. Staging - 251% Average Return on Investment: Buy some fresh
flowers, live plants and other decorations to liven up the home. Dispose
of old furniture or other large items. Consider renting furniture or hiring
a staging consultant.
6. Update kitchen and bath - 168% Average Return on Investment:
Update kitchen and baths by resurfacing cabinets or painting with neutral
color. Replace toilet seats, dated fixtures and drawer/cabinet handles.
Freshly caulk and redo grout in countertops, sinks, tubs and showers.
7. Paint interior - 148% Average Return on Investment: Repair any
damaged interior walls by patching all chips, holes and cracks; then touch
up or repaint interior walls with neutral color.
8. Carpeting = 104% Average Return on Investment: If carpets are
only lightly soiled, shampooing and/or spot removal should suffice. If
there are rips, fading, heavy wear, smells or deep stains, replace with
9. Flooring - 101% Average Return on Investment: Repair and refinish
damaged floors, or cover with neutral-colored wall to wall carpet and note
damage in your disclosure.
10. Paint exterior - 76% Average Return on Investment: Repaint
or resurface the outside walls of house, as needed. Patch and repair any
Find the value of your home http://www.homevalue123.com.